Thursday, March 19, 2009

Egg-Ceptional Eggs

This morning my students enjoyed Reschenka's Eggs, by Patricia Polacco during storytime:



The beautiful psanky eggs captured their imagination, but several students expressed apprehension about their ability to make "pretty eggs" in our art center, or when journaling. I quickly cut out tagboard egg shapes, and showed my Stars how to trace them on paper, with some eggs "hiding" behind others:



Take a look at what they created:

















EGG-CEPTIONAL!

2 comments:

  1. We love that book! My grandmother lived is from the Ukraine. We used to make psanky eggs for Easter, the smell of melted beeswax always makes me think of that time! I love your projects with the kids! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, thank you so much for dropping by! Living in Alaska, I had Russian friends as well as friends who were inspired by all things psanky or lacquer... I have many lacquer pieces and icons, but three of my five psanky eggs were broken in our last move. I can't bear to part with the shattered shells though, the art is still so beautiful~

    Happy Easter- have you also read "Chicken Sunday" by Patricia Polacco? It's another favorite (and psanky eggs make another appearance!).

    ReplyDelete

As always, thank you for your comments, tips, suggestions and questions!